Thursday, March 10, 2011

Tostones!

While I was at the veggie store picking up some ginger to make tea for the Big Guy's cold, I saw some Plantains. They looked good. I've never cooked them before but decided to give it a try. I found this video on Youtube, followed the directions, except that I used some luscious extra virgin coconut oil to fry them in, rather than the not-good-for-you-at-all vegetable oil that's recommended in the video. They came out amazing! Don't be put off by the use of the tostones tool that's shown, you can just flatten these little critters using a saucer or as I did by using my tortilla press. (I'd been wondering what on earth I was going to use the tortilla press for since I've given up grains!) Amazing tender, crunchy, salty, savory morsels of paleo happiness. They went well as a side dish to some homemade chicken soup.


How To Cook Plantains Platanos -- Puerto Rican Style

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments always welcome. Say what you mean, mean what you say and don't say it mean.